We take sustainability seriously. Producing new garments is not sustainable and we don't pretend that it is, and so we try to structure our business around sustainability, from production to packaging to distribution. Read on to find out more about our initiatives.
Did you know that almost all synthetic activewear is made from plastic? We just make ours with Recycled PET (rPET) that would otherwise clog landfills and pollute the Earth.
An estimated 14 billion pounds of garbage is dumped into the ocean annually, 80 percent of which is a form of plastic that is killing marine life and damaging delicate ecosystems. Since plastics are indestructible, it's vital that we find ways to reuse them.
Leggings: Made from a total of 12 recycled plastic bottles
Sports Bras: Made from a total of 8 recycled plastic bottles
Bike Shorts: Made from a total of 9 recycled plastic bottles
Our carbon offset initiatives
Protecting our planet is becoming more and more urgent and so we knew we had to do something about the unavoidable carbon emissions from our production process. We do this by investing in offset projects focusing in renewable energy, forest conservation and energy efficiency. Each project we chose supports multiple UN sustainable development goals in addition to offsetting CO2.
1. Protecting our forests in Peru via a conservation and sustainable harvesting project in the Madre de Dios region in southeast Peru. Works to improve carbon sequestration in the region.
2. Investing in Solar Power in Telangana, India. This is a 6 Megawatt solar power project in Kolanupaka, Telangana. The project has demonstrated the viability of grid connected solar farms to support improved air quality, energy security, improved local livelihoods and sustainable renewable energy industry development in the southern region of India.
3. Helping our communities with Solar Cookers in Zhangye, China. This project provides local residents in the rural area of Zhangye, Gansu province in Northwestern China the opportunity to switch to solar cookers to use for their daily cooking tasks in place of coal powered cookstoves.
We want to empower our customers with more conscious purchases. Every purchase with Tribe means
- you find the carbon offset data for each item on the product page
- you can click on the widget to view exactly which projects your purchase contributes to
- you are sent an impact certificate with your order confirmation email
It's not only what's on the inside that matters. Our polybags are 100% biodegradable. This means they’re made of plants, not plastic so you can feel a little less guilty about ordering online. For best composting results, remove the shipping label (recycle it), cut into small pieces and throw into a compost bin. Our Thank You cards are made from 100% Forest Stewardship Council certified Recycled paper and printed with soy-based inks ---- and are 100% compostable too.
Every year, thousands of brands participate in the highly anticipated Black Friday, selling off goods at a discounted price that will most likely be used for a few months and discarded shortly after. We wanted to use this day as an opportunity to do something good for the environment. Each year, instead of putting our items on sale, we offer them at full price and donate 20% of the proceeds to 1% for the planet.
Tribe x SusGain
SusGain is a lifestyle sustainability app based in Singapore. We have recently partnered with SusGain to be listed as an eco-retailer under the app. This way, any customer based in Singapore is able to earn cashback, or support a local charity with each purchase made with us.